After using Instagram for about a year I’m realizing I never know what I’m going to get when I open it on my phone. I click the app, begin scrolling, and boom, some ish pops up I don’t want to see (or read for folks who post whole essays or screenshots of drama-infused text messages – but we’ll get to that later).
Anyway, I came up with this mini-handbook. This is unofficial of course. I’m not trying to be the all-seeing eye of Instagram, so before you get mad, just know I’m just sharing a point of view. But here are five Instagram offenses I’ve witnessed on the regular that honestly bug me. Listed in order of light offense to heavy offense, here we go:
1. Essays – They have no place. Now I love to write. I love to read. But the whole posting of long diary entries on Instagram, never clicked for me. It’s a photo app. Get creative. Find a way to explain what you’re thinking by way of a photo. Some short thoughts here and there is fine, but if you’re doing this more than posting photos then I’m judging you.
2. Throwback Thursdays – I feel this was once a nice idea that has now been taken out of hand. I’m convinced that people start digging in the dusty crates of their family’s photo albums on Monday and saving them in advance to do a massive upload of a million photos. Glad it’s only once a week.
3. Food. I’m not anti-attractive cuisine postings. I’m anti-struggle meal (shout to @Branthedon_ for coining this phrase) postings. Number one, make sure you use flash or have good lighting. Dark photos of food can take away from the glow of the meal. Use your settings to adjust the quality of the image. Otherwise, if it still looks bad in the light and if it’s quiet in your notifications, well…
4. The screenshot of text conversations. I spoke on this in another post but I’ll say it again: Screenshots of text messages that involve someone getting in their feelings are never cool!!! I’m always amazed when people have the guts to do this when they’re profile is open. If the person is obsessed they can easily find out. Don’t do this. I probably won’t unfollow you, but I will be giving you the evil side eye for it.
5. Too many pics of yourself – Not sure how many pics would equate too many. But let’s just say, every time I come on Instagram, on the daily there’s about 10 pictures of you on my timeline back to back. Maybe I should follow more people or maybe not. But I’m not tryna see your face all the time. (I find I’m a bit biased however towards women than men, and this is based on how attractive he may be. Then I may not mind as much, but still.)
Whatever else you want. If you’re at an amazing event, share it. If your meal looks straight out of the Food Network, share it. If you’re somewhere unforgettable, I’d like to see it. I enjoy looking at the moments you all capture on the daily. Some of you aren’t great photographers, but I still love you anyway. I just think that because we now have the ability to share everything, doesn’t mean we should. *Rant done.*